11/27/08

History

 So recently m y mom, dad, Josh & I went on a trip to Mesquite for a National Wild Turkey Retreat. For those of you that don't know that is a Wildlife Charity that we are heavily involved with. While we were their we took a little side trip to Las Vegas to see my Great Great Aunt Mavis. It always so good to visit her because she is so full of history. She was married to my Great Great Uncle Roland. He and my Great Great Uncle Leslie Davis (yes I am named after a boy) were quite the little business men. They started the first bus line in Salt Lake, they homesteaded Alpine Wy., and they opened the army surplus store known as "Allied" (Yes that is were the fence company came from.) Also he helped to homestead parts of Las Vegas. The army gave a set amount of land to soldiers as long as they built a home on it. Well he got the bright idea to ask his fellow army buddies to give him part of their land in exchange he would go down to L.V. and set it all up. So attached are some of the pic. I took while I was their. The first is the street that Les cut himself and named.
This is the park that is named after him it is right done the street from the old house.
Sorry for the history Lesson. I just love looking in to the past and the stories our elders.

1 comment:

Peyton and Jayce said...

I love this! A little history never hurt anyone and I think this is a great little bit of information! Thanks